Environmentally Conscious, Socially Responsible, Community Oriented, Ethics Based Ethos, Uncompromising Quality
From its inception, the business has been built on the core values of food ethics, fairness and sustainability, and every single decision is rooted in these values.
Chocolatey Clare only works with carefully selected suppliers who are involved in various humanitarian, environmental, and charitable projects that benefit local communities. These projects include rainforest protection and reforestation, provision of reliable sources of clean drinking water to remote communities, and protection of threatened natural habitats, the biodiversity they contain and the indigenous people who depend on them for their survival.
All Chocolatey Clare ingredients are sourced through companies that demonstrate robust ethical principles.
Chocolatey Clare’s ethos is based solidly on the ideals of fundamental respect for humans, other animals, and the environment.
- All workers in the supply chain are properly paid and fairly treated.
- There is no slave labour or child labour in the production of their ingredients.
- There is no animal exploitation, i.e. there are no dairy products, no monkeys are used in the harvesting of coconuts for their ingredients, no bees are used to pollinate their ingredients. Hazelnut milk is used in their Bonbon ganache because hazelnuts are pollinated by the wind.
- There is no engagement with any sales platforms known for tax avoidance and unfair work practices.
- There is no engagement with any suppliers who profit from oppressive regimes.
- Environmentally friendly packaging is crucial to Chocolatey Clare’s product cycle. That’s why all of their packaging is plastic free and fully compostable.
- The inner wrappers for Chocolatey Clare bars are made from a home compostable material called NatureFlex™. The principal raw material is cellulose derived from wood pulp, sourced from responsibly managed forests. The outer boxes for the chocolate bars are made from compostable FSC-certified board printed with eco friendly ink using wind-powered printing machines.
- All customer orders are packed in plastic-free recyclable envelopes that are lined with corrugated paper, and the orders are shipped in re-used cardboard boxes.
- Any requested gift notes are handwritten on unbleached 100% post-consumer card.
Chocolatey Clare's Sustainable printing partner: Priory Press Packaging Ltd.
The energy used to power their machinery comes from renewable sources, namely wind power.
Priory Press Packaging adopted a thermal imaging process that eliminates all chemical processing from their plates. The plates are then recycled after use.
They have instigated a full recycling system in their factory production and currently recycle all production waste.
Priory Press Packaging uses natural vegetable-based inks, which are much more environmentally friendly than traditional petroleum-based ink.
Sustainable checkout partner: EcoCart
EcoCart allows customers to make their online purchases carbon neutral. To do this, the EcoCart algorithm determines the exact cost of offsetting the emissions from manufacturing and shipping of each order, and uses these customer payments to fund carefully selected projects. EcoCart utilises a global network of reputable suppliers to sequester, reduce, and offset carbon emissions.
The projects supported by the EcoCart community are rigorously vetted, certifiedby internationally recognised standards, and hand-selected by industry experts. Each project is triple-verified to maximise positive impacts on both the planet and the local communities where the projects are held. Examples of projects include forest management and protection, river conservation, purification of drinking water, generation of renewable energy through wind farms, and the provision of clean-air cooking stoves in developing countries.
Sustainable banking partner: N26 Bank
N26 Bank is an international digital bank that does not invest in fossil fuels. N26 does not hold any stakes in companies in the defence, oil and gas, tobacco, or gambling industries. They have a dedicated employee-run task force focused on driving sustainability initiatives within the business.
Chocolatey Clare's commitment and dedication to customer satisfaction
More and more consumers care about the provenance of their food and the ethical policies of the companies that make it. Increasingly, consumers are seeking out businesses that align with their values, and are happy to pay a premium for products that fit the bill. For this reason, Chocolatey Clare has a loyal and growing customer base that recognises and supports its defining characteristics of:
- Dedication to excellence
- Openness to improvement